Best books for me are:

  • Red dragon - Thomas Harris, by far the best book I've read, gory, inhumane, and unputdownable

Monday 11 April 2011

Health Benefits of ............................Turmeric

Here begins my postings on 'Health Benefits of'. 

You all know that I love my herbs and spices, but some of you may be unaware of their health advantages!

My first post is about Turmeric.  Which is the yellow powder we use to colour our curries or other dishes.  I would describe it as a very earthy smell, thats maybe not correct but it is how I describe it.  Turmeric has been used in India for over 2500 years, its first use was that of a dye, which it is still used for today (or a food colouring). 

This spice has been long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which can relieve the aches and pains in arthritis.  It is increasingly becoming one of earths natural wonders by proving beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions as well as being a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent.  It is also a natural liver detoxifier, so watch this space for me, as I will certainly be making curry and pilau rice a regular on our monday food plan!

The health benefits of turmeric lie in the active ingredient called curcumin. This powerful compound gives turmeric its therapeutic benefits, its yellow colour, and its pungent flavour.  It is also said to induce the flow of bile which breaks down fats in the body.

Indian people a well aware of its health benefits and there is hardly any dish in which they don’t put a little bit of turmeric.

I even found on one source that by taking turmeric powder and little salt with hot water with 1/2 tsp honey gives relief in a cough and eliminates congestion and will help a runny nose!  Its the first time I have been looking forward to catching a cold! As I can't wait to try that one out!  Not sure what the kids will say.  Their clothes will be like tie-dye when they spit it out!

Anyway, turmeric can be found in capsule form, but I suspect its like everything else, if we ate it in moderation we would be getting the goodness from all things!

Please also remember that as with everything there will be some disadvantages to taking turmeric, and before embarking on a turmeric mission, you must consult a health professional.

As ever, if you feel the need to explore your health advantages with a curry then either email me at allthingsspice@hotmail.co.uk and I will send you a list of my kits or alternatively have a look here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130507035596&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Please feel free to tell me what you would like to see next in 'Health Benefits of'

No comments:

Post a Comment